Before attempting this assignment, make sure to read Lesson 1 – it will be significantly more time-consuming if you don’t read the lesson and watch the associated video first. Submit this assignment to Gradescope by Monday, October 9th at 11:59PM. Post questions with the assignment here.
Make sure to also complete the Welcome Survey and submit it with Methodology Assignment 1!
Follow the steps below.
- On GitHub, create a private repository called
- Using SSH, log into a jumpbox server on DSMLP. Don’t run a launch script just yet – only do that in step 6.
- While on the jumpbox server, clone the Git repository you created. Then, change directories into repository (
- Run the command
uname -a > uname-jumpbox.txt. This saves a snapshot of your server information to a file named
echo ~ > homedir.txt. This stores the path to your home directory in a file named
homedir.txt. At this point, the
DSC180A-Methodology-1folder should have 2 files in it –
- Use a launch script, like
launch-scipy-ml.sh, to initialize a container. This will bring you to your home directory once again.
- Change directories back into your repository again (
cd DSC180A-Methodology-1). Now, run
uname -a > uname-container.txt.
- Open a Jupyter Notebook using the URL that appeared when you ran the launch script, either through port forwarding or the campus VPN.
- Copy the exact URL that appeared when you ran the launch script. Suppose that URL was
XXX. Run the command
echo XXX > notebook-url.txt. This will create a file named
notebook-url.txtwith your notebook’s URL in it. To verify that this worked correctly, run
cat notebook-url.txtand you should see your URL.
- Commit and push your changes to GitHub. Your repository should have 4 files in it –
- Submit the GitHub repository to Gradescope under Methodology Assignment 1.
You’ll be able to see your score right when you submit; make sure you receive a full score.